Historic Sardis Cemetery

Established 1869

Our Historic Sardis Cemetery, once was known as Shady Oaks and features a variety of markers ranging from simple fieldstones to more elaborate marble and granite monuments.  It appears from deed records that most of the current cemetery property was deeded to the Trustees of Sardis Methodist Church by Silas H. Donaldson in 1888 and 1894.

The earliest recorded interment and reputed to be the first person to be buried in Sardis Cemetery is Abraham N. Clarady who died in 1869.

The cemetery is located adjacent to Sardis United Methodist Church on Powers Ferry Road in Atlanta's Buckhead community and is the resting place of many of Buckhead's Pioneers.  Their headstones carry names like Rolader, Collier, Howell, Holcombe, Mayson, Plaster, Ivey, Irby, Cheshire, Mathieson and Donaldson. 

The Donaldson Mausoleum is the only above ground vault on the property .  It was built in 1878 and stands prominently at the front of the cemetery.

 In 1975, the members of Sardis UMC organized and incorporated the Sardis Cemetery Association to help preserve the cemetery through a perpetual care arrangement.  Sardis Cemetery is independently operated and maintained by Sardis Cemetery Association, Inc. and funded by donors and their gifts.